Application deadline for students wishing to matriculate in September is the preceding December 15.
All applications must be submitted online through Apply Yourself. You may access the Apply Yourself application through the Graduate Admissions website.
Application requirements for admission:
- A completed application
- Transcripts of all previous work
- Three letters of recommendation
- Recent GRE general and subject scores (physics or related field)
- TOEFL or IELTS for international students (a reproduction is acceptable. Johns Hopkins prefers a minimum score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or 100 (Internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).)
- Statement of purpose
- $75 application fee. The application fee may be waived for applicants with documented (must be uploaded within the application) registration/participation in one of the following programs: GEM, Department Request, SACNAS, MMUF, POSSE, JHU Grad Student, McNair, ABRCMS, Vietnam Education Foundation, IRT, Graduate Horizons, Chocktaw/Chickasaw Scholarship Advisement Program, Baltimore Scholars Program, Leadership Alliance, UMBC Meyerhoff Program, LSAMP, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program, Project 1000, MARC and University of Puerto Rico Students. To request a waiver based on financial hardship please select the option on the application and upload one of the following: FAFSA SAR Report, a letter from a college/university financial aid office, unemployment verification. Do not send tax returns. All documents will be reviewed and verified for satisfactory evidence. If the uploaded document is not accepted you will be contacted to resubmit or to pay the application fee.
Successful applicants applying in the last year of their Bachelor’s program will need to demonstrate the completion of their Bachelor’s
degree program before they can begin the Ph.D. program at JHU.
For additional information, contact Kelley Key:
The Henry A. Rowland Department of Physics and Astronomy
The Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus
Baltimore, MD 21218