Encompassing 238,000 square feet and seven levels, complete with rooftop observatory dome, the Bloomberg Center for Physics and Astronomy is the largest building on Johns Hopkins University’s Homewood campus. The atmosphere is enhanced by the presence of NASA’s Space Telescope Science Institute, the scientific home of the Hubble Space Telescope, located just across the street. Get directions and parking information here.
Construction started: October 1987
Construction completed: April 1990
Project Architect: Frederick K. Read
Construction Managers: The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
Project Manager: William Whiting
Structural Engineers: Whitney, Bailey, Cox & Magnani
Mechanical and Electrical Engineers: E. A. Mueller Associates, Inc.
The building features:
- More than 200 various offices for students, post-docs, research staff, administrative staff, and faculty
- 25 full-size working research labs
- 4 lab suites converted to office space
- 3 lab suites dedicated to data/computing services
- A 3,300-square-foot high-performance super-computing server room/data center
- Teaching labs including General Physics at more than 8,000 square feet and Advanced Physics at more than 4,500 square feet
- 9 classrooms
- A 2,800-square-foot, 324-seat auditorium
- 8 conference rooms
- A complete machine shop, a student machine shop, and a wood shop totaling 4,500 square feet
- A 1,600-square-foot library
- 1,800 square feet of shipping and receiving space with a loading dock
- A 2,500-square-foot “high bay” with a 5-ton overhead crane
- A “cleanroom suite” totaling 1,000 square feet
- A rooftop observatory dome
- 7 lobbies and lounges of various shapes and sizes totaling more than 13,000 square feet
- 2 passenger elevators and a 6-ton freight elevator
- More than 31,000 square feet of corridor space
- 25 restrooms
- 37,000 square feet of mechanical and utility space.
Bloomberg Center Management
For information on reserving a classroom or lecture hall, obtaining building keys, and any other facility management questions, visit the Bloomberg Center Management Page.